It’s time for another quick and easy neck warmer! This one looks like it’s complicated, but it’s not! It uses basic stitches only, but you will skip stitches and then go back and crochet into them. You’ll also be doing some clusters to make the cute lacy edge. And best of all…you can definitely make this one in an afternoon.
Another benefit is that this pattern does not use much yarn. So I’d go ahead and splurge and get something really nice to work with! I used Cascade Alpaca Lana D’Oro, and highly recommend it! It’s warm, soft and has great stitch definition!
You’ll make this by working the bulk of the neck warmer lengthwise, then you’ll finish it off at each end working across the shorter edge. This gives the piece a nice crisp look!
What You’ll Need:
- 128 yards of Worsted Weight Yarn – I used less than 1 skein of Cascade Alpaca Lana D’Oro
- ¾” button
- Crochet Hook Size I (5.5 mm)
- Yarn Needle to weave in ends
- Not important for this project
- 14 stitches and 11 rows = 4” in the 2 row repeat pattern used in the body of the scarf
- My finished neck warmer measures 5” wide X 27” long
- ch = chain
- sk = skip
- sc = single crochet
- dc = double crochet
- st = stitch
- sp = space
- ss = slip stitch
- YO = yarn over
- 2-dc cluster – YO, insert hook and pull up a loop. YO, pull through 2 loops. Repeat. YO & pull through all 3 loops on hook.
- 3-dc cluster – YO, insert hook and pull up a loop. YO, pull through 2 loops. Repeat 2 more times. YO & pull through all 4 loops on hook.
Neck Warmer Body
- Ch 64
- Row 1 – sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across. Turn. (63 sc)
- Row 2 – ch 2 (does not count as a dc) sk 1st dc in next sc, dc in skipped st. *sk next sc; dc in next sc, dc in skipped st* Repeat across. End with a dc in last sc. Turn. (31 crosses and 1 DC at end)
- Rows 3 – Ch 1. Sc in each st across. Turn. (63 sc)
- Rows 4-15 – Repeat rows 2 & 3 ending with a row of sc. (This piece should measure about 19 ½”)
- Turn to work across the end.
- Edge Row 1 – Ch 1. 19 sc evenly across edge. Turn.
- Edge Rows 2 – 5 – Ch 1. Sc in each st across. Turn. (19 sc)
- Edge Row 6 – Ch 1. Sc in next 8 st. Sk 3, ch 3. Sc in last 8 st. Turn.
- Edge Row 7 – Ch 1. Sc in next 8 st. 3 sc in ch-3 sp. Sc in last 8 st. Turn.
- Edge Row 8 – 9 – Repeat edge row 2
- Edge Row 10 – Ch 1, sc in 1st sc; *ch 3, sk 2 st, sc in next st* Repeat across. Turn. (6 ch-3 spaces)
- Edge Row 11 – ss to ch-3 sp. Ch 3, (2-dc cluster, ch 3, 3-dc cluster) into same sp. *(3-dc cluster, ch 3, 3-dc cluster)* into each ch-3 sp (See special stitches above)
- Edge Row 12 – ss into ch-3 sp. *(sc, ch 2) 3 times. sc into same ch-3 sp.* Repeat across. Ss to top of starting ch-3.
- Finish off
- Edge Row 1– Attach yarn at other end of neck warmer with a ss. 19 sc evenly across edge. Turn.
- Edge Row 2-9 – Ch 1. Sc in each st across. Turn. (19 sc)
- Edge Row 10-12 – Repeat edge rows 10-12 above
- Finish Off. Weave in ends
- Sew button between 6th & 7th row of sc to align with button hole
Hope you enjoy!
Please post your projects on Ravelry and link to the pattern so I can see what you’ve done!