I have 2 beautiful Great Nieces, and their Mom bought them matching pink and white Easter dresses. I decided they also needed matching hats! Like the dresses, I wanted to use the same yarn and some basic design elements, but I wanted to make them different since they’re almost five years apart.
Here’s the second one. It’s for the baby and will fit most 3-6 month olds. She’s actually 7 months old, but she’s a preemie, so she’s still a little tiny…but growing like a weed! This one is sooooo fast and easy to make because her head is so small! Just like the Big Girl Hat, this pattern can also be used for a beach sun hat.
Most hats crocheted in the round count the first chain as a stitch. I prefer this method where I don’t count it as a stitch. Then I join it to the first real stitch in the round so the chain slips behind the row. It makes the joining seam much less obvious. However, as you’ll see in the pattern below, I switch to the conventional method when I start the more open pattern of the shells.
I’ll definitely post a picture of them wearing their hats after Easter!
What You’ll Need:
- 75 yards of DK weight white yarn. I used Butterfly Mercerized Cotton
- Small amount of contrasting yarn. I used 16 yards of hot pink and 26 yards of paradise pink in the same Butterfly Mercerized Cotton
- A ¾” or 1” button for the flower
- Crochet Hook Size F (3.75 mm)
- Yarn Needle to weave in ends
- Needle and thread to sew on button
- In HDC, 14 rows and 17 stitches = 4”
- Hat dimensions are:
- Hat Circumference – 15 3/4”
- Hat Length (Crown to bottom of scallop) = 5 3/4”
- SS = slip stitch
- CH = chain
- HDC= half double crochet
- DC = double crochet
- SC = Single crochet
- ST = stitch
- SK = skip
- SP = space
- Make a Magic Circle. You can always, chain 3, ss to join, and crochet into that circle instead.
- Round 1 – CH 1. 12 HDC into circle. SS to 1st HDC to join.
- Round 2 – CH 2. (Does count as a HDC) 2 HDC in each ST around. SS to 1st HDC allowing CH-2 to fall behind the round. (24 HDC)
- Round 3 – CH 2. *2 HDC in same ST. 1 HDC in next.* Repeat around. SS to 1st HDC to join. (36 HDC)
- Round 4 – CH 2. *2 HDC in same ST. 1 HDC in next 2 ST.* Repeat around. SS to 1st HDC to join. (48 HDC)
- Round 5 – CH 2. 2 HDC in same ST. 1 HDC in next 3 ST.* Repeat around. SS to 1st HDC to join (60 HDC)
- Rounds 6- 13 – CH 3. (For this section of the hat, the CH-3 DOES count as a DC) 2 DC into same ST. SK 2 ST. *3 DC in next ST. SK 2 ST.* Repeat around. SS to top of CH-3 to join. (20 shells). Once you’ve completed round 6, you’ll be putting your shell in the first DC of each shell in the previous row.
- Round 14 – CH 1. SC in each ST around. SS to first SC to join. (60 SC)
- Round 15 – Change color. Repeat round 14.
- Rounds 16 – 18 Change color. Repeat round 14 three times.
- Round 17 – Change back to same color as row 15. Repeat round 14.
- Round 18 – Join white yarn. CH 1, SK next SC. 5 DC in next SC. SK next SC. *SS to next SC. SK next SC. 5 DC in next SC. SK next SC* Repeat around. SS to into same SP as CH-1. (15 shells)
- Finish off. Weave in ends.
- I wanted the flower slightly smaller than on the big girl hat, so I used a size E Crochet Hook. I also reversed the colors so this one had more light pink
- For the flower, I used: #3 Colorful Flower on this site just completing 3 sets of petals.
- Sew the flower on the hat through the button.
Please post your projects on Ravelry and link to the pattern so I can see what you’ve done!